Each Monday, I’m going to post a brief summary of what we’ve done the previous week in relation to expanding the kingdom of God in Greenville. So here’s what happened the week of July 5:
- We got to hang out with a couple who just moved for Chicago. He took the youth ministry position at St. James UMC, located close to East Carolina Univerity with about 900 in attendance on Sunday mornings. They found us through Laura’s blog, found out we were house church people, and wanted to know more. It was a great time. We talked about house churches, the difference between house churches and church that do small groups well (the answer: follow the money…), and even delved into what’s going on with the Emergent “church.” They’re a great couple with the cutest little boy (who couldn’t get enough of Madalyn’s toy bus).
- We got to hang out with some folks from our slowly developing simple church. They’re ready to start the next phase, which is awesome. More details to come as they develop…
- Made some headway with getting into some churches in connection with my work as a hospice chaplain. Very cool.
- Speaking of my job, I had some tough visits this week. People I’ve really become attached to that are starting to decline. Very tough…
- Read “Chasing Daylight” (not the Erwin McManus book of the same title). It’s a memoir of a high-power CEO who was diagnosed with an extremely aggressive brain cancer, and how he lived out the final three months of his life. Tragic. Heart-breaking. Inspiring. Moving me to action. A further review to come soon. A definite must-read.
- Been doing a lot of thinking about how our simple church is developing. You always want things to move faster than they are, but I’ve learned that waiting on God’s timing is better than forcing things.
- I started a blog series about the essentials/nonessentials of our faith. Got some interesting responses so far, and those who’ve commented have been waiting on me to weigh in. You only have to wait until tomorrow…
- Set up a mentoring schedule with a dude that’s going to be part of our simple church. He’s headed to college in the fall (actually, my alma mater). I’m encouraging him to go ahead and start working in the city he’ll be in as I mentor him and he comes back here on the weekends.
- Talked to my old college buddy Neal Alligood (who’s near Atlanta doing a two year internship with Christ’s Church at Cobb). He saw my post about Bible College and church, and wants to do something about it. What he has in mind is absolutely spectacular. More details to come as they emerge. Ha ha ha…
- Went to Harmony Church, which meets in a bar near downtown Greenville. Their lead guy, Derek, is a really friendly guy and brings it (its been awhile since I’ve heard that much scripture in a message), and has the stones to bring it from anywhere–they’re in a series on Lamentations right now, and he’s applying it to Greenville. Some really good stuff. Harmony’s impact is outdoing it’s small size. They’re involved with serve.greenville, an organization focused on renewing the city. They’re serving Greenville in small ways, including a billiard’s tournament later this month. Trust me, no other churches in Greenville are doing what Harmony is doing. I look forward to talking more with Derek.
- Also got back in contact with the lead guy at Discovery Church. We’re going to sit down and chat soon.
This week, pray for:
- I’ll start mentoring Evan (see #8). Pray that this will be a fruitful time of friendship building and equipping so that the kingdom can expand both here in Greenville and in Elizabeth City, NC.
- The “evolution” of our budding church. Summer’s a crazy time, and schedules can be tough. Pray that carving out time for each other will become second nature.
- Talking with some guys who seem to be really kingdom-minded. Hoping to find common ground and start a dialogue from there.