Each Monday, I’m going to post a brief summary of what we’ve done the previous week in relation to expanding the kingdom of God in Greenville. So here’s what happened the week of July 27 – August 2:
- I’ve been really frustrated with myself recently on my time with God. I’m a big proponent of spending time daily in the Bible, and I haven’t done so. The guy I’m mentoring and I have challenged each other to read 30 chapters (give or take) of scripture each week. If we don’t finish, we get to read the same section again. This is our second go around with the gospel of John. I have, however, found a possible alternative that I think will help. More on that later this week…
- Met with Evan, the guy I’m mentoring. We met this week while playing disc golf. I totally suck at it, but it’s great exercise and I’m starting to find my throwing motion. The best thing, however, was our 90 minute discussion on the character of a dude that God uses to plant a church. Good stuff.
- Our budding simple church met at Fuddrucker’s on Wednesday. We all finally made it, and had a great time. Now, if we can just make it a regular thing…
- Had a coworker ask me some huge questions this week–I’m an agnostic but I want to believe type questions. I’ve spent all week second guessing what I said, but she thanked me several times and said we would continue to conversation. It’s cool to see a completely unchurched person trust you enough to ask big questions. Pray for her this week, would you?
- Had a defining conversation with a dear friend who is traveling the long road to recovery from sin. He is being transformed, and his close relationships are being transformed. It’s absolutely amazing to see God pick up the pieces to a broken life and put it back together.
- My wife and I are having some great conversations on how to meet people in our neighborhood and serve Greenville. We’ve been here three months, and we’re as settled as we’re going to get. God is prodding both of us to move on to the next step of living missionally.
This week, pray for:
- My mentoring session with Evan. This guy is really sharp and has wisdom beyond his years. Now, to get him focused (which is the primary thing he’s seeking from this mentoring arrangement).
- Our sprouting church, that we can get together again this week in the midst of the end to a hectic summer.
- I need to arrange some meetings with other church planters in the area as well as some influential community people to dig deeper into the culture of the city so that I can find out what she needs most, and how kingdom minded churches can rock the gates of hell in those areas.