Each Monday, I’m going to post a brief summary of what we’ve done the previous week in relation to expanding the kingdom of God in Greenville. So here’s what happened the week of July 27 – August 2:
- Found out this week that several copies of my book, “The Jumbo Shrimp Gospel”, have made it into the library of a correctional facility because of a guard who read it. Several prisoners have already read it. One of them now wants to become a Christian (obviously not from reading the book, but maybe it helped point him toward Jesus).
- I got to hang out with Dave McCants, who planted Two Rivers Church in New Bern, NC. They’ve got some really cool plans in place–possibly a second campus in military-heavy Jacksonville, NC.
- I got an email from another church planter in Greenville who is doing some cool stuff with an initiative called Serve Greenville. He gave me some info on what it’s about, and it looks pretty cool.
- Got to hang out with my boy Evan again, doing some good mentoring. That’s going to produce some pretty significant fruit for the kingdom.
- Other than that, it’s kind of been a frustrating week. We weren’t able to get together this week with the folks interested in starting a simple church (one got their wisdom teeth pulled, which is totally excusable!). I’ve pulled a couple hours of overtime (not by choice), which is good for the bank account but bad for other stuff. I’ve lacked some consistency in my time with God this week. Just one of those weeks where you spend time questioning what you’re doing… and realizing it’s a cool place to be because you’ve totally got to depend on God. I guess it’s just His way of saying, “Dude, focus…”
- For the first time, we got together with some of the people wanting to be a part of our first simple church and, well “did church” (what would look most like church to those of you in a more traditional setting). It was really cool. We celebrated the Lord’s Supper as a full meal, focused on Acts 2:40ff., dreamed about our church and how it can impact Greenville, and prayed for each other, our church, and our city. It was awesome!
So this week, please pray for the following:
- That I will continue to work to keep the focus on God. I have a terrible habit of relying on myself from time to time (not nearly as often as I used to, but it still happens every once in awhile).
- Laura and I are at the place where we’re ready to take the next step in kingdom building here in Greenville. We’re looking at ways to not only save some coin (cutting off our land line phone, cutting off the cable), but seeing how those things can help us live more missionally. Just cutting off the TV will help us do other things than rot our brains. We’ve been chatting about different things that we can do. Looking to put some action behind the ideas.
- The people interested in our simple church–that we can get some consistency in our hang out times. It’s still at the “if we’ve got the time, we’ll do it” phase, so there’s still some development to take place.
- I’m looking for 2-3 guys to mentor. Still figuring out what it’ll look like, and looking for ways to get involved and meet more dudes.