Each Monday, I’m going to post a brief summary of what we’ve done the previous week in relation to expanding the kingdom of God in Greenville. So here’s what happened the week of August 24– August 30:
- It was tough learning that one of my patients passed away. It was comforting knowing that he gave his guilt and regret over to God several weeks ago. I’ve got an extremely intense, but highly rewarding job.
- One of the people from our sprouting simple church sent me a text on Wednesday wondering when we were going to hang out. The rhythm of church life is starting to take root!
- Have started reading through Genesis for my personal Bible time. I’m being blown away by both the patriarch’s stupidity and even more by God’s grace (’cause we’re just like those guys).
- I’ve prayed hard for several weeks, begging God to raise up new workers which include several guys to mentor. Some leads are slowly starting to take shape.
- I’m also asking God to break my heart for the brokenness of the city. And boy, is it broken.
- The same person in #2 is really thinking hard about how to impact their school. Some big needs being seen, some great ideas for how to be Jesus. More details to come as they emerge.
- My sis came down to see us this weekend. She’s in the beginning stages of a huge transition in her life, which is really cool. We had a bunch of people over that we went to college with. We had a really great time–and it was a great test run for something we’re thinking about doing on our street.
- Have asked several people the question, “What is Greenville’s greatest need, and what is Greenville’s biggest problem?” Some interesting answers, and all are related. It was also interesting to listen to the answers of guys being paid to do ministry and those who work so-called “secular” jobs. More on that later this week.
- Got to hang out with some people from our church tonight. Had some really cool discussion on who is “good soil.” I’m excited to see where God is going to lead us in the future.
Please pray for the following this week:
- Pray that the rhythm of church life that we find in the New Testament continues to take root with our people.
- Pray that the folk that are involved with us thus far will work to become followers of Jesus who love God, love people, and serve the world.
- I’m hoping to do a ride-along with a Greenville police officer in the near future. I’ve got a couple of people who are working on hooking me up. I’m excited about this–I’ll see the underbelly of the city, learn from someone who sees the ugly regularly, and maybe strike up a friendship.