Each Monday, I’m going to post a brief summary of what we’ve done the previous week in relation to expanding the kingdom of God in Greenville. So here’s what happened the week of September 7 – September 13:
It’s been a week of great highs and a very low low…
- The low: we lost a dear friend to domestic violence. We miss her so much.
The highs (in random order)…
- The NFL football season started Thursday evening. Praise be to God.
- I attended a police/community relations meeting. My realtor introduced me to Greenville’s chief of police. We got to chat for a few minutes. He gave me the name of the officer I need to contact to set up a ride along and to get in on the ground floor of a brand new, freshly granted program to mentor non-violent offenders as the re-enter “the outside.” Exciting stuff.
- Our Wednesday hang out time has become second nature. Not everyone can make it, but it’s still cool. Our first attempt to plant a simple church might not take root, but we’re learning some really good lessons from it. More details on that later.
- I’ve been burdened–almost panicked–to pray for workers. It’s been very strange and exciting. Almost every day, I’ve been praying hard for God to raise up workers in Greenville. I’ve also been kind of overwhelmed, wondering if what I’m doing is going to “work.” It’s a great place to be, because it is forcing me to run to God.
- Laura and I went to a local mom’s group get-together, and some dad’s were there (thank goodness). We met another couple and we hit it off right away (the Saw movies are good for something!). We plan on getting together very soon to hang out.
- Hung out with my new buddy Trevor at BW3’s to watch the first half of the Sunday night NFL game. I’m starting to look for places here in Greenville that (1) people gather at and, (2) have people who are good soil. Trevor, although working as a staff member of an established church, likes what we’re doing. He’s praying about helping us establish presence in a place where people gather, like a bar or a coffee shop, until I have another guy to do this with. I’m excited to see how this shapes up.
This week, pray for:
- That the first attempt at seeing a church take root will continue to teach us lessons, and that great things can come from it.
- That some of the connections we’ve made in the past week can develop–both for opportunities to take light into darkness, and to spawn new friendships with people who don’t know Jesus.