For over half my life, I’ve despised Brett Favre simply because he quarterbacked the Green Bay Packers, and now the Minnesota Vikings. For the past five years, football fans have wondered whether or not Favre would retire or come back to play.
His tearful retirement in ’08 was a hoax as he signed with the New York Jets.
His retirement in ’09 was a farce as he signed with the Vikings just as training camp was over.
Three of his Viking buddies flew to Mississippi and talked him into coming back again in ’10.
(I actually think he knew each year what he was going to do).
And now, I find that this blog has something in common with Brett Favre:
For nearly three years, this blog has served as an outlet for my brain. I never thought I’d love writing so much. Since this blog launch in November of ’07, I’ve written 766 posts. That’s approximately 383,000 words (a conservative estimate). You guys have left nearly 1,000 comments. Small by many blog’s standards, but invaluable to me. This blog inspired me to pen a book, and has inspired another that is in the early stages of development. In fact, it has inspired several writing projects that I’m finding myself with little time to pursue.
My life is also busier than it has ever been. My family is always on the go with homeschooling and Laura being our office’s weekend on-call nurse. The friends we’re meeting with on Mondays, which is our church, is starting to gel. I want to get more involved in the community. And my job as a hospice chaplain has never been busier. Long story short, writing time is limited. So for the foreseeable future, RTL is going into semi-retirement. That simply means I won’t post something everyday during the week (which has been the case for about six weeks, although unintentionally). If I have something rolling in the head that needs processing, I’ll post. If there’s a great book I’ve read or movie I’ve seen, I’ll post. But, for now, I want to free up time to work on some other writing projects:
- “Sabotage”: a book based on the biblical book of 1 John,
- “Deep Roots: Vol. 1”: a devotional book based on my blog posts on Psalm 1 – 40 (in film terms, this one is in “post-production”),
- “Genesis 1-11”: Years ago, I started writing a commentary on Genesis. I made it through the early verses of Genesis 15. I’m simply reformatting what I wrote for chapters 1-11, and will publish it upon completion.
- “The New Inklings”: a blog co-written by yours truly and my friend Fran, an agnostic with a passion for spiritual inquiry. We’ve experienced a few setbacks, but hope to launch the blog around the first of ’11.
- The memoirs of my friend Dale, who wished for me to turn his journal into a blog so that others could know his story. I’m over half-finished with this, and hope to have it completed soon.
In the meantime, please dig into the Archives of RLT and read some old posts. If you haven’t already, subscribe in a feed reader (like Google Reader) so that when I do post, you’ll know it. I’m also a casual Twitter and Facebook user, and I’ll change my status to reflect posts. Most of all, thanks for reading, whether you chimed in everyday or once in a blue moon.
And so, farewell for now. But not forever. And hopefully not for long. In the words of the great Austrian-American thespian politician Arnold Schwarzenegger, “I’ll be back.”